Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sooooo Motivated

Yesterday was a big success!! I pushed myself further than I had planned. My walk started off on kind of a bad note as I passed by a McDonalds and literally had a battle with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. No Fries Melodie!!! But you've been good, go ahead have some. Ahhhh! But I fought the temptation of buying those death fries salted with crack. Yes I said crack, how else would you explain the addiction. I struggled to get through the crowds of tourist from 34th to 42nd St. Tourist are great comic relief. You can tell whose following the "tips" they learned before traveling to NYC. Hold on to your bag! Make sure you know where everyone is! Don't jay walk like the natives. So they end up sticking out like a sore thumb hanging on to each other for dear life. Sure, that won't make them obvious to pick pockets and scammers.


Once I got to 42nd St. I realized that some of the remnants of the sleazy dirty 80's are still there. Had no idea there were still peep shows and gentlemen's club there. Go Figure. This is also the same block where I saw a homeless man peeing on himself while his pants were falling to his knees. Awww those poor tourists were shielding their children's eyes. I couldn't help but wonder what they say to their kids later. How do you explain that?











It was at this point I decided I was going to push myself to walk to 72nd street. No problem. Once I reached Columbus Circle, I was pleasantly surprised by all the lights. I really thought I wasn't a Christmas or Holiday person, but I immediately felt all nostalgic when I saw the lights and the stars in the Time Warner Center. Then I realized I had never been in the Time Warner Center before (honestly didn't know it existed). And what did I find?? A Borders Bookstore. So I got lost in there for over an hour in the nutrition section. Needless to say I walked out of there more confused about nutrition than when I walked in. While leaving I ended up finding a painting with all the streets on the lower east side called "my favorite streets east". Coincidence, I think not. That was all the motivation I needed to continue my walk to 72nd St.

My music went dead at 68th street. Oh no!!!! Alone with my thoughts on the train ride home. Torture! My legs are sore and I'm exhausted but felt so upbeat and ready to conquer the world. Well...at least Manhattan.



Streets Walked
8th Avenue (14th-34th street)
Columbus Circle (57th-59th street)
Broadway (60th-72nd street)
58 blocks total

Music on shuffle:
Erykah Badu, Chrisette Michelle, Common,
Flobots, Estelle, Laura Izibor,
Colin Munroe, Melanie Fiona, Q-Tip
A Tribe Called Quest, Usher
Maxwell, Jazmine Sullivan

3 comments:

  1. mellow--I am thrilled you are doing this!! My husband and I have been one of those tourist but hopefully not as bad as you've described. We loved Manhattan!!
    Can't wait to read the blog each day!!
    --finallyncontrol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this is so awesome, I love it and I can relate to those devil fries, I have fought that battle and still do, lol. Anyway I'm excited to read your blog and look forward to doing it daily, it gives me something meaningful to read after reading so much junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks dsmith and menasewpretty!! The comments are keeping me motivated.

    ReplyDelete