Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's a Dog Eat Dog World Out There...

Yesterday wasn't really a planned walk. I needed to pick up a few things from Mecca (Trader Joe's) so I chose to take a different route. I began on 13th & 8 Ave. At first it seemed that this would be an uneventful walk. But NY stayed true to it's word and gave me something to laugh or shall I say rant about LOL! If you have no idea how crazy New Yorkers are about their dogs, just walk down 13th street to get an idea.









I saw my first doggy gym! Yep! A doggy gym. At first I thought it was a pet store as I saw two small dogs playing happily by the window sniffing each other like there was no tomorrow. I looked up at the sign "Biscuits and Bath Doggy Gym" and snickered to myself...really. I'm not gonna lie, I would love to get a small dog. But I don't want the responsibility right now. In the city, having a dog is like having a child. So I pondered the necessity of a doggy gym. You are so lazy that your dog can't get exercise walking with you? You have to take it to work out? Maybe your dog is fat because you carry him around in a Louis Vuitton tote or even worse, a doggy stroller. Yes people, they have doggy strollers! Two blocks down was just what the neighborhood needed. Stop the presses everyone... ANOTHER DOGGY GYM! The name was cute though "Wet Nose" gotta give them credit for that at least.










I had dogs when I lived in NC, but they were low maintenance. They pretty much ate what we did. Stayed outside and "walked" themselves. It was unheard of to take Scruffy (yes I know it was a corny name) to the vet. HA! The Vet? Send him over to the field and have him chew on some of that grass and piss weed. He'll be fine. And usually he would be. If your dog got REALLY sick, there were no chemotherapy treatments, doggy dialysis, or expensive operations. They instinctively ran away into the woods to die in peace. If you didn't see your four legged friend for more than a day, you knew what was up. Ahhhh...The Circle of Life. No offense to animal lovers, that's just how it was. We didn't have money to burn on our four legged friends. Dogs on antidepressants? Nah, cut it out! But hey, maybe I'm just jealous that these dogs dress better than me. Yep. That's it...maybe I'm just green with envy.

Once I left doggy city, I began to see the NYC that I actually understood. But I began to feel like something was following me. I walked a little quicker, held onto my bag, and just as I was reaching for my pocket knife....oh it's just the Empire State Building again. Just playin' peoples. Hahahaha! But really, no matter where you are in the city, you can always see a glimpse of the Empire State Building. It's like one of those paintings where the eyes follow you no matter where you are in the room. The Empire State Building is definitely a hardcore stalker.

As I was standing on the crosswalk of 13th st. and University Ave., a huge white stretch limo pulled up in front of me. I wondered who could be in there. My question was answered 5 minutes later as I turned the corner and a massive line of people were waiting outside of Best Buy. I asked a young woman what the line was for. "GIRL...MARY J. BLIGE IS GONNA BE HERE SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS!! YOU DIDN'T KNOW GIRL?" Uh...apparently I didn't. I contemplated getting on the line. Getting a picture with Mary J. Blige WOULD have been the highlight of my day. But I just didn't feel like standing in line for that long. I love you Mary, but not enough to stand outside for hours. Now, if it were Maxwell...that's another story.

Streets Walked
Greenidge Ave (8th-Horatio)
13th Street (8th-4th Ave.)

No comments:

Post a Comment