Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Alphabet City











I decided to lurk around alphabet city yesterday. And that's exactly what you do in alphabet city. LURK. There are so many cozy, dark little spots where you can chill out and not be seen. This area is so diverse. One minute you are in the projects, then you are walking by expensive co-ops (which used to be lower income housing), then you feel like you are a cast member in the broadway show RENT! Okay well its more schizophrenic than diverse. But schizo is never boring is it?

I started out on 14th street and Ave. A. I began to second guess this route because it was so gloomy and dark. But as I continued walking, things began to come alive. The Christmas lights on the balconies of a high rise caught my attention and gave me some sort of hope that this area wasn't completely dead. The smell of Empanadas and Chuchifritos penetrated the air on almost every corner since this neighborhood is home to many Puerto Rican Americans. I am now terrified of all things fried so I held my breath a few times. Ummm... Empanadas (in Homer
Simpson voice). LOL!










The city was a far cry from the winter wonderland I experienced just 2 days ago. The NYC filth had quickly consumed the clean snow which was now reduced to gray slush. If there was a patch of white snow, there was a 95% chance of dog crap hiding underneath. I am sooo tired of playing involuntary hop scotch on the side walks because people don't clean up after their dogs. What happened to poop laws? Just nasty. I'm getting tickled because when I actually do see a person pick up their dog's poop. I think to myself "hmmmm who owns who?"

I was feeling lucky so I decided to by 5 $1 scratch offs. If I won big I could get $500 a week for life. And I was LUCKY!! Won my $5 back, yay!! No!! Mr. Convenience Store Man...I don't wanna buy more tickets and lose my money. Breaking even is awesome.

At this point, it was a good thing that my music was controlling my mood. Don't laugh but TLC's first album is a guaranteed pick me up. I started singing out loud (becoming a habit). IF YOU WANT MY LOVE. WELL THAT'S ALRIGHT, CAUSE IT WILL BE THERE FOR YOU MORNING NOON AND NIGHT....BABY,BABY,BABY..

Just as I looked up and noticed a mother and her wide eyed child staring at me like I was crazy, I saw a store called Amaran (7th & ave. B). Oh my, if I were to make a wish list for furniture, it would be at this store. First of all the store smelled so good. Kinda like Nag Champa, my favorite incense. Dark woods everywhere. African and Asian inspired pieces were strategically placed all around the cozy little store. I wanted everything! I mean my entire dream living room was in this store. The lighting was dim similar to how I like to keep my apartment and office. I know that was a big factor in why I loved the ambiance of this place. The prices were high but looked like it was really worth it. I then made up my mind that I wanted to save money to buy at least one piece from that store. Then I thought, save what? Have to have money to save money right? Ohhhh the plight of a rent slave :(


Okay things were looking up now. I kept running into nice little pieces of storefront art which reminded me just how artsy this area used to be. This neighborhood is hanging on for dear life to keep its identity. But gentrification wins every time. Oh well. Bright colors caught my attention at this little cafe called THE B CUP. Cute name right? I was cold by this time and big mug of tea would certainly make me happy. The menu was cute since a small coffee or tea is an A cup and a large is a B cup. I decided I was hungry and asked the server to recommend something different.


He suggested a dish called Shakshuka which is a whole egg baked into fresh tomato sauce. If you couldn't already tell, I am a self-proclaimed foodie. And no, a foodie is not the same as greedy. Hahaha! I just love trying new things and actually savoring different flavors. Something else I got from my mother. THANKS MA! The Shakshuka was delicious and I cleaned my pallete with some organic African nectar tea. YUM! The atmosphere of The B Cup was soooo chill and I kicked my feet up. I scored a nice corner couch with the cutest red hand painted table. I could've totally taken a nap on that couch as Eric Clapton's "If I Could Change the World" played softly in the background. I knew that I now needed to get my butt back to the Bronx and go to bed. I will definitely be going back to The B Cup (13th & Ave. B) next time with a good book. Gosh I was sleepy. Taking over Manhattan is hard work!

As I walked out of my new favorite chill spot, Erykah Badu's song "Soldier" began to play and I felt as it were my soundtrack at the moment.
NOW TO MY FOLKS THEY THINK THEY LIVIN SWEET, WELL THEY GONE F@#! AROUND AND PUSH DELETE, TO THE GIRLS ON PRESCRIPTION PILLS, I KNOW HOW YA FEEL,TO MY BOYS IN IRAQI FIELDS, THIS AIN'T NO TIME TO KILL, TO MY GIRLS IN THERAPY,SEE I'MA TELL YOU THIS FO' FREE, TO MY FOLKS UP ON THE HILL, WITH THE CAKE AND DOLLAR BILLS, YOU NEED TO WATCH THE DIRTY COP, THEY THE ONE YOU NEED TO WATCH, YOU GET THE WAKE UP CALL
WHEN YOU SAW THE BUILDINGS FALL,WHAT AM I TALKIN' BOUT? EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT THIS SONG'S ABOUT, DEY BE TRYIN' TO HIDE THE HISTORY, BUT THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE.


Time to get to the next destination. I'm saving a seat for you!!

Streets walked
14th Street (Avenues A,B,C)
Ave C (14th-East Houston)
Ave B (East Houston-14th st.)

No comments:

Post a Comment