Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back on Track for 2010!











From 1/4/10
Happy New Year's! Yes, it is 2010 and I must say I brought the New Year in with a bang. With that being said, it's been a few days since I've walked in Manhattan, and I was certainly missing it. Sure the elliptical machine and xtreme fit game I received for Christmas helped me get my workout in but it wasn't as fun as walking without a care in the world throughout NYC. However, life itself sometimes got in the way of my mission and I told myself it was quite alright, it's gonna happen. It hadn't hit me how much my walking (which I've been calling it therapy lately) has become such a big part of my life. I'm excited to say that I'm back on track and looking forward to getting back into the groove.


I thought okay, on 14th street, what avenue is after 5th Ave? Must be 4th avenue right? Wrong. I ended up on Union Square East at the Farmer's Market. I had totally forgotten about the farmer's market since winter began and was kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. If you want a tasty cup of hot apple cider, this is the spot! But I decided not to endulge (high-five to myself).They usually have the best produce (especially apples) dairy products, honey, baked goods, veggies, and plants. Guess I've been spending too much time in Trader Joe's instead of helping support our small farmers huh?




Union Square East turned into Broadway at 17th Street. I was really convinced that this walk was going to be a bore. I couldn't even find any music to set the tone. That was until I hit 26th street and realized I was in WHOLESALE HEAVEN! I have absolutely no sense of direction so I never realized that I worked so close to the wholesale district even though I've been there a handful of times. This is a hustler's paradise okay. Whatcha need? Whatcha need? Watches? We have it. Wigs? What color are you looking for? Purses and Bags? Let me hook you up. Body Oils and Perfumes? Name your price. I have shopped here before and let me just say the deals are ridiculous.





On 125th street, the street vendors will sell you a small vial of scented body oil for $5 and a packet of 20 incense for $5 as well. Don't get ripped off, go to THEIR source. The wholesale district is where they buy all their merchandise. You can get a pint of scented body oil for $7 and 100 incense for $6. Now tell me that's not a bargain.







I had to pry myself away from the sweet smelling rows and rows of incense and slowly began making my way towards 42nd street. I have to say, it was really hard trying to stay on Broadway because it kept turning into other avenues. One wrong turn and I was on 5th ave. Another wrong turn and I was on 6th ave. Confusing. But I stayed on my course and ran smack dab into Times Square.

I mean dead center with all the neon lights and the red laser beam stairs, yes exactly where the ball just dropped 3 days ago. Talk about sensory overload! All those lights could send you into a seizure. I played my role as a tourist (which I enjoy) I couldn't pass up taking pictures in one of the most recognizable places in the world. Cheese!

I was getting really cold so I looked for my first aid kit aka Starbucks. Wanna learn a little trick. Pick any spot on the street in downtown Manhattan, start turning in a circle in that very spot, before you make a complete circle, you will locate a Starbucks! So far it's worked for me. HA! But I must say this Starbucks was horrible. No seats, just a long table by the windows for you to STAND and drink your coffee. WHAT! That's preposterous! Shoot, I decided to take my coffee to go and walk and sip, might as well.


I checked out the M&M store before leaving the Times Square area just out of curiosity. Yes, there is a store totally dedicated to the milk chocolate candies that "melt in your mouth, not in your hand". Hmmm...could I have sued them? Cause I've had M&M's melt in my hand quite a few times when I was a kid. Try holding M&M's in your hand half the class period until you had an opportunity to pass them to your friend. They definitely melt, darnit!!














I continued on Broadway and didn't once think of "theater" until I saw a crap load of people waiting outside to see "Mama Mia!" That says a lot about what has happened to Broadway. I know it's no where near what it used to be. I mean back in the day (at least from what I see in movies) people dressed up to go to Broadway shows. There would be all this commotion outside Broadway theaters. Autographs being signed. Limos popping up outta nowhere. I'm not sure if that's how it REALLY was, but less people are going to see shows on Broadway. They'd rather do the IN thing and see a production "OFF Broadway". I then thought to myself, I've seen plays and musical performances but none were on Broadway. Must put that on my to do list! My my my, the list just keeps growing!

Streets Walked
Union Square East (14th-17th street)
Broadway (17th-42nd street)
Times Square (42nd-47th street)
Broadway (47th-59th street)
Ended at Columbus Circle & 59th St.

No comments:

Post a Comment